Columbus Crew SC 2, Toronto FC 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
The star forward headed home a cross from Auro in the 90th minute, rescuing a key point for TFC, who entered the night in a three-way tie for the final playoff place in the Eastern Conference.
It was a back-and-forth match, as Jonathan Osorio opened the scoring three minutes before the break, marauding forward into the attacking third and lacing his shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards out. Three minutes after the break, though, Columbus found the equalizer. Wil Trapp's lofted through ball for an onrushing Pedro Santos was expertly volleyed home, a controlled effort from the Portuguese attacker into the back of the net.
In the 82nd minute, substitute David Accam left his mark on the match. A swift, one-man counter attack, Accam picked up the ball at midfield and drove into the 18-yard box and fired home what appeared to be the game-winning goal before Altidore's late heroics.
- 42' - TOR - Jonathan Osorio | WATCH
- 48' - CLB - Pedro Santos | WATCH
- 82' - CLB - David Accam | WATCH
- 90' - TOR - Jozy Altidore | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's a tough draw in the playoff race for Toronto, though one point was better than none. Greg Vanney opted for a dual striker formation with Altidore next to Patrick Mullins, though it didn't lead to three points.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It looked like Columbus had earned a big win, before Altidore had the last laugh.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Pedro Santos. Who knew the winger would be such a revelation at No. 10?
- CLB: Sunday, August 25 at FC Cincinnati (6 pm ET | FS1 in US, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- TOR: Saturday, August 24 vs. Montreal Impact (7:30 pm ET | TVAS, TSN in Canada, MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US)