New York Red Bulls 0, Colorado Rapids 2 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Howard, the former MetroStars legend and North Brunswick, N.J. native, made three saves to earn his fourth clean sheet of the season.
Adding insult to injury, both goals were scored by former New York City FC winger Jonathan Lewis, who put the visitors in front on a one-man counterattack in the 14th minute after Bradley Wright-Phillips hit the post following a Red Bulls free kick.
Lewis raced past rookie right back Rece Buckmaster and into the 18-yard box, cutting inside before slipping his shot inside the far post for his fourth goal of the season.
The Red Bulls pressed for the equalizer and had a bevy of close calls, but only managed to put three shots on frame. The Rapids had golden chances to tack onto their lead late, but Robles made critical saves to keep his team in the game. However he was rooted to his spot when Lewis struck for his second three minutes from full time.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Fraser era starts off on a positive note and Howard no doubt will relish the clean sheet in his last game in New Jersey. As for the Red Bulls, a devastating defeat ahead of back-to-back road games against the Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It doesn’t get much clearer than the game’s first goal, which started with a BWP shot off the post and ended with Lewis burning the Red Bulls.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Scoring twice against the Red Bulls once likely meant everything to Lewis. Although he’s on a different team and in a different conference, this had to feel special.
- RBNY: Sunday, September 15 at Seattle Sounders FC (3:30 PM ET | ESPN, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- COL: Saturday, September 7 vs. Seattle Sounders FC (9:00 PM ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US, on DAZN in Canada)