FC Cincinnati vs. Toronto FC | 2019 MLS Match Preview
2019 MLS Regular Season – Week 27
FC Cincinnati vs. Toronto FC
Nippert Stadium – Cincinnati
September 7 – 7:30 PM ET
STREAMING: MLS LIVE on ESPN+
Toronto FC hope to move further above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference when they head to Nippert Stadium to meet an FC Cincinnati side that have lost their last three and are winless in their last eight.
Toronto FC (10-10-8) sit just above the playoff line and one point clear of the rival Montreal Impact following a 1-1 draw with the New England Revolution Saturday night at Gillette Stadium, their third draw in a four-match unbeaten streak. After Matt Turner made a stunning double save in the first half, the Reds finally broke the scoreless stalemate in the 74th minute as Nicolas Benezet headed in his first MLS goal. Gustavo Bou equalized four minutes from full time with a shot that slipped through Quentin Westberg's grasp.
FC Cincinnati (5-20-3) were officially eliminated from Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff contention with a 3-1 loss at FC Dallas Saturday night. Following Ryan Hollingshead's 12th-minute goal, Michael Barrios and Zdenek Ondrasek scored two minutes apart early in the second half to give FC Dallas a comfortable 3-0 lead. Emmanuel Ledesma provided a consolation goal in the 64th minute, finishing from the penalty spot after Roland Lamah was clipped by former teammate Reggie Cannon. The expansion side finished with 10 men after Kekuta Manneh was shown a straight red card in the 75th minute following Video Review.
This is their second meeting this season. Toronto won 2-1 at BMO Field July 27. Nick DeLeon and Jozy Altidore scored in each half to give the hosts a two-goal lead before Ledesma pulled FC Cincinnati back a goal in the 58th minute.
- Injury Report:
- OUT: Jimmy McLaughlin (M) - right ACL surgery
- OUT: Fanendo Adi (F) - calf injury
- QUESTIONABLE: Frankie Amaya (M) - groin injury
- QUESTIONABLE: Spencer Richey (GK) - back injury
- QUESTIONABLE: Mathieu Deplagne (D) - neck injury
- Suspended: Kekuta Manneh (F)
- Suspended after next caution: Allan Cruz (M), Emmanuel Ledesma (M)
- International duty: Kendall Waston (D), Allan Cruz (M), Derrick Etienne Jr. (M), Alvas Powell (D)
- Injury Report:
- OUT: Justin Morrow (D) - quad strain
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: Richie Laryea (D)
- International duty: Richie Laryea (D), Liam Fraser (M), Jonathan Osorio (M), Ryan Telfer (F)
Series Matchup at FC Cincinnati
- This is the first all-time meeting between FC Cincinnati and Toronto FC at Nippert Stadium. Toronto FC won the first all-time meeting, 2-1, July 27 at BMO Field.
- Referee: Allen Chapman
- Assistant Referees: Jason White, Eric Boria
- 4th Official:Marcos DeOliveira
- VAR: Victor Rivas