Minnesota United FC 2, Sporting Kansas City 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
With another incredible comeback at Allianz Field, Minnesota United came from behind to beat Sporting Kansas City behind a 90th minute game-winning goal from Hassani Dotson. SKC are now officially eliminated from Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs contention and Minnesota have officially qualified for the playoffs.
Dotson's left-footed strike past Tim Melia was the difference between the sides on Wednesday night, sending Allianz Field into a frenzy.
Ozzie Alonso scored a 70th-minute equalizer for Minnesota, poking home from close range on a corner. The win means Minnesota will end the evening in second place in the Western Conference with two matches left in the regular season.
Botond Barath opened the scoring for the visitors, flicking home from close range off a set-piece for SKC after just seven minutes, though the goal was controversial. Barath's finish may have come with the help of his arm, though the replays were judged to be inconclusive.
Later in the first half, Erik Hurtado missed a golden opportunity to give SKC a 2-0 lead then Vito Mannone's incredible double-save heroically kept the deficit at one before Gianluca Busio sliced a volley off Mannone's crossbar in the 47th minute, keeping the door open for the Loons.
Ilie Sanchez, who started at center back for SKC, hit the crossbar in the 73rd minute, nearly putting his side back ahead.
- 7' – SKC – Botond Barath | WATCH
- 70' – MIN – Ozzie Alonso | WATCH
- 90' – MIN – Hassani Dotson | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: There's something about these Loons. Yet another late result secured at home, Minnesota are enjoying a wonderful season. With SKC officially eliminated from playoff contention, they'll look back on a disappointing 2019.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Cue Wonderwall.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: He didn't get a shutout, but it was another awesome performance from Vito Mannone. He (and his crossbar) repeatedly kept the Loons in the game.
- MIN: Sunday, Sept. 29 vs. LAFC (7:30 pm ET | FS1, MLS LIVE on DAZN)
- SKC: Sunday, Sept. 29 vs. Portland Timbers (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, DAZN)