LAFC 3, Colorado Rapids 1 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Vela broke and extended the single-season scoring mark, ending the season on 34 goals, while LAFC both broke the single-season points record, with 72, as well as tying the single-season goals record by a team.
LAFC controlled the proceedings for most of the first half, and were rewarded for their efforts through Vela, who scored a quickfire brace to give LAFC the lead and make history. His first goal, scored in the 28th minute with the teams in transition, gave him sole possession of the MLS single-season scoring mark, set in 2018 by Josef Martinez with 31 goals.
Three minutes later, Vela topped his previous effort, with a bicycle kick from close range doubling the home side's lead and giving him 33 goals in league play this season.
Vela picked up right where he left off after the restart, as he completed his hat trick in the 51st minute with a tap-in off Tristan Blackmon's cross. That goal tied the all-time goals record in a season for a team, with 85, level with the 1998 LA Galaxy, who did it in 32 games.
- 28' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 31' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- 40' – COL – Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 51' – LAFC – Carlos Vela | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Aside from allowing a goal, it was pretty much a perfect day for LAFC, with the exclamation point put on a Supporters' Shield-winning season. The Rapids had an outside shot to reach the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs, which considering their start to their season is an accomplishment of sorts, but they couldn't get the win (or the results they needed elsewhere) to book their unlikely spot.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Vela's first goal to break the individual goals record was great, but his second goal was truly special.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Who else? Carlos Vela put in a monster performance to wrap up the regular season and make history for himself and his team in the process.
- LAFC: Oct. 24 vs. TBD, 10:30 pm ET (ESPN, ESPN Deportes) | Western Conference Semifinals, Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Colorado: End of season