Seattle Sounders 1, Minnesota United 0 | 2019 MLS Match Recap
Roman Torres found the net l in the 29th minute and the Seattle Sounders maintained a clean sheet, bagging a 1-0 victory over Minnesota United and clinching the second seed in the Western Conference in Sunday's Decision Day presented by AT&T matchup between the sides at CenturyLink Field.
The Sounders struck for the game's only goal just before the half-hour mark off a pinpoint cross from Joevin Jones that hit Torres at the far post, allowing the Panamanian to nod the goal home for his first career MLS tally.
Minnesota had a great chance at the leveler five minutes from the halftime whistle after Ethan Finlay collected a backward header by Sounders defender Brad Smith and had a clean breakaway attempt against Sounders goalkeeper Stefan Frei. Finlay would see his shot bounce off the post, however, allowing Seattle to narrowly maintain its one-goal advantage into the halftime locker room.
The Loons would have their chances in the second half, but couldn't turn any into the leveling goal, allowing the Sounders to see out the three points and clinch the No. 2 seed in the West.
- 29' - SEA - Roman Torres | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It wasn't always pretty for the Sounders this season, but in the end they were able to withstand the unexpected retirement of Chad Marshall, long-term injuries to midfielder Victor Rodriguez and a score of international absences to nail down the coveted second seed that will allow them to host their playoff opener against FC Dallas. The Loons will be disappointed to not have snagged the spot for themselves, but it's still been a vastly improved campaign for the club, as Minnesota will finish fourth in the West after missing the playoffs in each of their first two MLS seasons.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Torres' goal was the only goal of the game, the first of his MLS career and allowed Seattle to claim that second seed behind LAFC.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Let's go with Gustav Svensson. The Swedish midfielder is an overlooked rock in Seattle's midfield and he was in fine form on Sunday, cutting out attacks and spraying pinpoint passes all over the field.
- Seattle: Oct. 19 vs. FC Dallas, 3:30 pm ET (FS1, FOX Deportes) | Round One, Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota: Oct. 20 vs. LA Galaxy, 8:30 pm ET (ESPN, ESPN Deportes) | Round One, Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs