Philadelphia Union 4, New York Red Bulls 3 | MLS Cup Playoffs Match Recap
Marco Fabian scored in extratime as the Philadelphia Union rallied from a pair of two-goal deficits to beat the New York Red Bulls, 4-3, in Round One of the Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Sunday at Talen Energy Stadium.
The Mexican came off the bench in extratime and put a shot that deflected off Marc Rzatkowski and in off the far post in stoppage time of the first extra time session as the Union celebrated their first MLS Cup Playoffs win. They advance to take on host Atlanta United in the Eastern Conference Semifinals Thursday (8 pm ET | ESPN2, ESPN Deportes in US; TSN, TVAS in Canada) at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
The Philadelphia Union #DOOP defeated the New York Red Bulls 4-3 in extra time to advance to the Eastern Conference Semifinals in the #MLSCupPlayoffs— MLS Communications (@MLS_PR) October 20, 2019
It was the 1st playoff win in Union history -- they overcame a 2-goal deficit, matching the largest ever in the #MLS playoffs
The Red Bulls raced in front in the sixth minute on Josh Sims’ first goal since arriving on a loan from Southampton. Rzatkowski intercepted a ball in midfield and fed Kaku, who slipped his pass to the winger. Sims took two touches before blasting his shot from 19 yards out past goalkeeper Andre Blake.
Tim Parker took advantage of a Blake blunder to double the Red Bulls’ lead in the 24th minute. Blake lunged for, but missed, a Kaku corner and Parker headed the ball into the net.
Union captain Alejandro Bedoya put a charge in the crowd and pulled his team to within a goal six minutes later with a first-time effort inside the far post off a Haris Medunjanin free kick. But Tom Barlow restored the two-goal edge for the Red Bulls on the final play of the first half, again cleaning up after Blake failed to get a strong punch on a Rzatkowski free kick while colliding with defender Mark McKenzie.
The Union came out of the break buzzing and again pulled to within a goal when Jack Elliott followed Sergio Santos’ header off the crossbar by heading the rebound back across the goal in the 52nd minute.
- 6’ — RBNY — Josh Sims | WATCH
- 24’ — RBNY — Tim Parker | WATCH
- 30’ — PHI — Alejandro Bedoya | WATCH
- 45’+4’ — RBNY — Tom Barlow | WATCH
- 52’ — PHI — Jack Elliott | WATCH
- 78’ — PHI — Fafa Picault | WATCH
- 105’+1’ — PHI — Marco Fabian | WATCH
$14,000 was contributed to the Audi Goals Drive Progress fund.
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was another pulsating, edge-of-your-seat Round One playoff game. It was a historic win for the Union, their first in the MLS postseason. For the Red Bulls, it was yet another crushing playoff defeat.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Was it a cross? Was it a shot? Does it matter? Fabian scored the extratime winner with this goal.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Picault was a difference-maker as soon as he subbed on for Brenden Aaronson in the 72nd minute. He scored the equalizer six minutes later and set up Fabian’s winner in extratime.
- PHI: Oct. 24 at Atlanta United 8 pm ET (ESPN2, ESPN Deportes in US; TSN, TVAS in Canada) | Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs, Conference Semifinals
- RBNY: End of season