DC United 1, Colorado Rapids 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
A 92nd-minute goal from Colorado Rapids winger Jonathan Lewis gave the visitors a dream start to the 2020 Major League Soccer season, as they secured a 2-1 win over D.C. United in Week 1 at Audi Field.
Lewis entered as an 85th minute substitute, and then sealed the three points when a pinball-like sequence fell to the US men’s national team winger. He capitalized on his chance, volleying home to make it 2-1 as goalkeeper Bill Hamid left the goalmouth.
The teams had previously traded second-half goals, and seemed set to split the points. The first goal arrived in the 60th minute when a D.C. United corner kick from Julian Gressel found the head of Russell Canouse at the back post. The midfielder’s deep service, with the help of strong winds, carried past Colorado goalkeeper Clint Irwin and found its way to Canouse.
But the 1-0 lead was short-lived, as Colorado found an equalizer in the 67th minute via Kei Kamara. The veteran striker launched a trademark header past Hamid, latching onto a driven cross from Jack Price to make it 1-1.
Momentum had been building before the second-half goals, with D.C. center back Steven Birnbaum heading off the crossbar in the 58th minute after a deep cross from Gressel. D.C. also came close in the 28th minute, but an offside call scratched a debut goal for midfielder Edison Flores.
- 60' – DC – Russell Canouse | WATCH
- 67' – COL – Kei Kamara | WATCH
- 92' – COL – Jonathan Lewis | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: What a dream start to the 2020 season for Colorado, who likely would have been satisfied with a draw on the road. But then Jonathan Lewis’s game-winner ramped the satisfactory result up to an entirely new level. From a D.C. United perspective, it’s heartbreak in the league’s first match of 2020.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Jonathan Lewis’s 92nd-minute strike is surely a top highlight from his young career. Just when it looked as though the game was destined for a draw, Lewis's sixth goal with the Rapids made last year’s trade from New York City FC look better and better.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: The spotlight shined bright on Younes Namli for his debut in Colorado’s midfield, but a rock-solid performance from Jack Price was instrumental in earning all three points. His frozen-rope cross for Kei Kamara’s equalizer was fantastic, too.