FC Dallas 2, Philadelphia Union 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The first half was chippy and goalless, though Dallas had most of the opportunities. Michael Barrios and Jesus Ferreira were actively challenging Philadelphia's defense, but goalkeeper Andre Blake was able to meet every opportunity with quality saves. Dallas enjoyed a strong run of form midway through the first half, but things evened out for the final stretch of the first 45.
The second half finally produced a go-ahead goal, with Ferreira and Ondrasek working together in the 61st minute. Ferreira found Ondrasek right outside the penalty area, and with nothing impeding him except for Blake, "The Cobra" took a low driven shot that the Jamaican netminder could not get over in time to stop.
The Union attempted a response almost right away, with Jesse Gonzalez coming off his line to stop a chance from Kacper Przybyko in the 64th minute. However, it was the substitute, Pomykal, who combined with debutant Tanner Tessmann on a great give-and-go to secure the Dallas win.
- THE BIG PICTURE: It was a strong start to the season for FC Dallas, who got to show off their attack not just through the goals from Zdenek Ondrasek and Paxton Pomykal, but with standout performances from Jesus Ferreira and Michael Barrios. For the Philadelphia Union, there are positives to take away in what was in many ways an evenly played match.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The momentum officially swung the hosts' way with the opening goal, but it was also a lovely strike worthy of joining the several highlight reel-worthy goals scored on MLS opening day.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jesus Ferreira was an active participant in his side's winning showing, creating opportunities throughout the match, including on the game's first goal.
- FC Dallas: Saturday, March 7 vs. Montreal Impact (3 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in the US; TVAS in Canada)
- Philadelphia: Sunday, March 8 at LAFC (10:30 pm ET | FS1, FOX Deportes in the US; TSN5, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)