DC United 2, Inter Miami CF 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
D.C. United got the better of a 2-1 result against Inter Miami CF at Audi Field in Week 2, in a wild match that saw Rodolfo Pizarro score Miami's first goal in club history just two minutes after kickoff before United struck for both its goals in the immediate aftermath of a second-half red card to Roman Torres.
Pizarro wasted no time getting Inter Miami on the board with his historic tally, finishing off a counterattack spearheaded by No. 1 overall MLS SuperDraft pick Robbie Robinson, who made a stellar run after winning the ball at midfield and found Lewis Morgan on the right flank. Morgan hit Pizarro with a cross right in front goal, allowing the expansion side's marquee signing to cash home the close-range finish.
Robinson had to exit the contest just before the halftime whistle after D.C. defender Steven Birnbaum fell on the back of his leg. The rookie forward got up under his own power and briefly tried to re-enter the contest, but was subbed off for Juan Agudelo.
Miami thought they had a second shortly after second-half kickoff off a deflected finish from Morgan, but the goal was disallowed for a handball committed by Roman Torres in the sequence leading up to the shot. Matters got worse for the visitors, as Torres was then issued a red card by referee Rubiel Vazquez for the infraction which was deemed denial of a goal-scoring opportunity, leaving Inter Miami down a man for the rest of the match.
D.C. were then awarded a penalty kick just after Torres was sent off when Victor Ulloa was whistled for a foul on Edison Flores in the penalty box, allowing Yamil Asad to convert the equalizer from the spot in the 59th minute. Frederic Brillant then struck for the go-ahead tally just two minutes after that, smashing home the rebound off a free kick from Flores, completing the shocking turn of events and giving the hosts the lead they would not relinquish.
- 2' - MIA - Rodolfo Pizarro | WATCH
- 59' - DC - Yamil Asad (PK) | WATCH
- 61' - DC - Frederic Brillant | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: It really was a remarkable turn of events for Inter Miami, who went from thinking they had doubled their lead, to playing with 10 men and falling behind by a goal in the space of a chaotic 10-minute span. In the end, it's a second straight loss to start their MLS existence, but they've looked competitive in both games and look primed to remain as such throughout their debut season. DCU will simply be breathing a sigh of relief at not dropping home points for a second straight match to start their 2020 campaign after a 2-1 defeat to the Colorado Rapids in their season opener and conceding the early goal in this one.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Even with all the second-half theatrics, it has to be Pizarro's opener. You only get one first goal in club history and it's fitting that this one was provided by the man who will be tasked with carrying much of the load for Inter Miami throughout the year.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: There was so much going on this match that you could go a few different directions, but we'll give the nod to Brillant, who put in a good shift defensively and put home a well-taken finish for what turned out to be the game-winner.