Seattle Sounders 1, LAFC 4 | MLS is Back Tournament Match Recap
LAFC controlled much of Monday night’s round of 16 match against the Seattle Sounders, securing a 4-1 win behind Diego Rossi’s brace as the Uruguayan extended his place atop the race for the Golden Boot presented by Audi.
The Black & Gold will now face Orlando City in the quarterfinals on Friday (7:30 pm ET | FS1, TUDN, UniMás in US; TSN, TVA Sports 2 in Canada), while the Sounders head back home as the MLS is Back Tournament field further narrows.
Rossi got the scoring underway in the 14th minute, giving LAFC a 1-0 lead from the penalty spot. Seattle center back Xavier Arreaga tripped up the forward in the 18-yard box, and he dispatched past Stefan Frei.
Seattle clawed one back in the 75th minute, when Will Bruin made it 2-1. The striker ghosted to the back post and brushed home a driven cross from Joevin Jones, with both Sounders having entered as second-half substitutes.
But LAFC started to pull away in the 82nd minute, as Rossi capitalized on an Arreaga turnover to easily make it 3-1. Brian Rodriguez then added a fourth in the 89th minute, cutting onto his left foot and finishing back across goal.
- 14' – LAFC – Diego Rossi (PK) | WATCH
- 39' – LAFC – Latif Blessing | WATCH
- 75' – SEA – Will Bruin | WATCH
- 82' – LAFC – Diego Rossi | WATCH
- 89' – LAFC – Brian Rodriguez | WATCH
Man of the Match presented by Heineken
It’s Diego Rossi’s world and we’re just living in it. The LAFC forward has seven goals through four matches at the MLS is Back Tournament, and could have easily had three or four against the Sounders. He's in top form, to put it lightly.
- THE BIG PICTURE: This was a rematch of the 2019 Western Conference Final, a game Seattle won 3-1 at Banc of California Stadium. In a neutral venue this go-around, LAFC played with conviction and showed their might (all without Carlos Vela). They’re scoring for fun and cruising into the quarterfinals.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It was a night of defensive errors for Seattle, and few were bigger than Xavier Arreaga's turnover in the 82nd minute. Diego Rossi pounced and it became 3-1, disrupting Seattle's comeback charge.
- YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED: Will Bruin made his first appearance since June 5, 2019 and scored off the bench. The Seattle striker was coming off a torn ACL.
- SEA: End of tournament
- LAFC: Friday, July 31 vs. Orlando City, MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals (7:30 pm ET | FS1, TUDN/UniMas in US; TSN, TVA Sports 2 in Canada)