New England Revolution 0, New York City FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
New York City FC earned their second-ever win at Gillette Stadium—snapping New England Revolution's seven-game unbeaten streak in the process—with a 2-0 victory.
New York City FC dominated the first half and had several opportunities with dangerous set pieces, but weren't able to find the back of the net. New England goalkeeper Matt Turner had a fantastic reaction save in the 14th minute off one of NYCFC's corners to keep the clean sheet for his side going into halftime.
Bruce Arena made two substitutions, giving the Revs a little more life coming into the second 45 minutes, but NYCFC got on the board first in the 60th minute. Anton Tinnerholm crossed a pass into the box to teammate Heber and the Revs' Michael Mancienne slid to defend the pass but ended up putting it in the back of the net for an own goal.
A little more than 10 minutes later, Heber got his first goal of the season off a NYCFC corner kick from Ronald Matarrita to seal the result.
- THE BIG PICTURE: NYCFC have seemingly found their groove with a formation and attitude that's proving difficult for opponents to deal with in recent matches. Make that three straight wins for Ronny Deila's side as last year's No. 1 team in the East make their move up the standings. New England, meanwhile, had their seven-game unbeaten streak snapped and Bruce Arena will have plenty to ponder after losing at home to a better team.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After scoring 15 goals in 2019, NYCFC's Heber was off to a slow start in 2020 with zero goals before tonight. He finally found the back of the net in the 72nd minute.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Heber worked hard on the night, with three shots on goal, almost getting the first goal and then opened his 2020 account on a corner to seal the deal for NYCFC before subbing out for the night.
- NE: Sunday, September 6 @ Chicago Fire FC (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, MLS LIVE on DAZN, NBC Sports Boston, WGN-TV)
- NYC: Sunday, September 6 @ D.C. United (7:00 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+, MLS LIVE on DAZN, WJLA 24/7 News, YES)