Orlando City SC 1, Atlanta United 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
Benji Michel scored the opener at the end of the first half for Orlando, and it looked like it was going to stand as the winner until Jahn's headed finish in the game's waning moments.
Orlando had the better of the opportunities in the first half, with one of them coming in the 34th minute when Daryl Dike played a ball over the top down the right side to Michel, who played Sebastian Mendez in on goal. But Mendez had his shot on frame denied by a kick save from Atlanta goalkeeper Brad Guzan.
The Lions would find the opener on the stroke of halftime off a corner kick that deflected to Dike, allowing the rookie forward to tee up a shot that wound up getting redirected into the net by Michel, who was waiting in front of goal.
Atlanta had a couple of opportunities just after second-half kickoff, first when Cubo Torres saw a wide-open header bounce wide of the post. Emerson Hyndman then teed up a distance shot just seconds later that forced Orlando 'keeper Pedro Gallese to reach down to his left to bat it away.
Orlando nearly added a second in the 79th minute when Nani, who entered the match as a substitute just minutes earlier, sent in a laser free kick that made it past a diving Guzan, but the ball wound up glancing off the post. It would prove consequential, as Jahn headed home the equalizer deep into second-half stoppage time to salvage the point for the visitors.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Atlanta United were just minutes from suffering a second straight disappointing defeat to Orlando, which only would have given fuel to the recent chatter that the tides are turning in the regional rivalry. Instead, Jahn made sure the Lions would have to wait for a second league win against Atlanta. The Five Stripes still have plenty of issues, especially in the attack, but perhaps this result will provide a psychological boost for a club that could use one.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It has to be the equalizer, which turned this into to a solid road point for Atlanta.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: On that note, Jahn will get the honors in this one. It was the 29-year-old's first MLS goal since 2017, and it came at a great time.
- ORL: Saturday, Sept. 12 vs. Inter Miami CF (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+; DAZN in Canada)
- ATL: Wednesday, Sept. 9 at Inter Miami CF (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+; TSN2 in Canada)