Montreal Impact 1, Toronto FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
Altidore, latching onto a Nick DeLeon long ball over the top, finished under an onrushing Clement Diop in the 89th minute for his first goal of the 2020 season. It placed Toronto firmly in control after two straight losses meant their Canadian Championship passage hung in the balance. The result also gave Toronto a 3W-1L-0D record against Montreal this year in Canadian Classique matches.
The late strike proved vital after Montreal equalized at 1-1 in the 53rd minute, when Video Review reversed an initial offside call on Victor Wanyama’s header. The Kenyan midfielder latched onto Romell Quioto’s free kick to nod home, with deliberations centering around whether center back Luis Binks toed the offside line when challenging Omar Gonzalez on the whipped-in cross.
Toronto made it 1-0 in the 32nd minute through Pablo Piatti, but not before a lung-busting run from Richie Laryea. Playing at left midfield, the Canada men’s national team standout collected in his own half, beat several Montreal defenders and squared to the Designated Player for a back-post tap in.
Quioto twice thought he scored for Montreal, only for his nifty finishes to be called back on both occasions. The Honduran first swept home in the 35th minute and then in the 79th minute, but the assistant referee’s flag saved Toronto goalkeeper Quentin Westberg both times.
- 32' – TOR – Pablo Piatti | WATCH
- 53' – MTL – Victor Wanyama | WATCH
- 89' – TOR – Jozy Altidore | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Toronto aren’t locked into the Canadian Championship final just yet, though they’re awfully close. Montreal still face the Vancouver Whitecaps (now eliminated) twice to close out the series between Canadian clubs, with the table-toppers owning a six-point lead. The task before Thierry Henry’s team to win twice in Vancouver is challenging, while Greg Vanney's bunch takes a wait-and-see period before potentially booking a spot against the Canadian Premier League winners in the final.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: The offside margin on Victor Wanyama’s goal in the 53rd minute was incredibly tight. After a lengthy Video Review, the ex-Tottenham defensive midfielder drew the Impact level.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Jozy Altidore got his first goal of the 2020 season at an ideal time, and he immediately directed his attention to the Montreal supporters in attendance. The US men’s national team forward finished with seven shots and he made the last one count extra. He's now scored in five of his last six matches in Montreal.
- MTL: Sunday, Sept. 13 at Vancouver Whitecaps (9:30 pm ET | TSN1, TVA Sports; MLS LIVE on ESPN+ in US)
- TOR: Schedule to be determined