Seattle Sounders 7, San Jose Earthquakes 1 | 2020 MLS Regular Season Match Recap
The Seattle Sounders slammed the door shut on the San Jose Earthquakes' chances of earning a result almost as soon as the match started, and they made some MLS history in the process in a 7-1 victory at CenturyLink Field.
The Sounders set a record by scoring five goals after the opening whistle faster than any team in MLS history, needing just 33 minutes to do it, and they tied the record for most goals in a first half (five).
By the end of the match they not only registered a club record for goals scored in a single match, but they also got within touching distance of the MLS records for largest margin of victory (seven goals) and most goals scored in a league match (eight goals).
Raul Ruidiaz and Joevin Jones each scored twice, and Jordan Morris, Kelvin Leerdam and Joao Paulo also found the net to help the Sounders become the ninth team in league history to score seven or more goals in a game.
Chris Wondolowski converted a late penalty for his MLS-leading 163rd career goal and fourth of the season for San Jose.
- 4' - SEA - Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 12' - SEA - Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- 15' - SEA - Kelvin Leerdam | WATCH
- 20' - SEA - Joevin Jones | WATCH
- 33' - SEA - Raul Ruidiaz | WATCH
- 48' - SEA - Joao Paulo | WATCH
- 59' - SEA - Joevin Jones | WATCH
- 71' - SJ - Chris Wondolowski (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Sounders moved back on top of the Western Conference standings with the win, a point ahead of Kansas City and Minnesota, who also lost considerable ground in the goal differential tiebreaker. Seattle now boasts a +13 difference, eight ahead of both chasers.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: In a match in which the scoring was frequent, there was one moment that summed up Seattle's dominance: when Quakes manager Matias Almeyda made the maximum five simultaneous substitutions in the 64th minute. (Believe it or not, that is not an MLS first; Inter Miami CF's Diego Alonso made the same move in the 75th minute of a 1-0 loss to Nashville SC on August 30.)
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Raul Ruidiaz. A lot of candidates from the Rave Green in this one, but the Peruvian international striker takes it with two goals and two assists.
- SEA: TBD
- SJ: Sunday, Sept. 13 vs. LA Galaxy (11 pm ET | UniMas, TUDN, Twitter, MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)