Sporting Kansas City 2, FC Dallas 3 | 2020 MLS Regular Season Match Recap
Ryan Hollingshead capitalized on Graham Zusi's defensive error to score in the 86th minute, lifting FC Dallas to a 3-2 victory over Sporting Kansas City on Saturday at Children's Mercy Park despite giving back an earlier two-goal lead.
Franco Jara also scored twice, the first multi-goal game of his brief MLS career, to help Dallas to its first three-game winning streak since they had four consecutive victories from May 25 to June 9 of 2018.
The visitors held on to their late lead through seven-plus minutes of second-half stoppage time after Bryan Acosta was sent off for his second bookable offense in the 90th minute.
But three minutes later, Michael Barrios intercepted Zusi's under-hit backpass, and after Tim Melia's initial save, Hollingshead was there to slot in the rebound.
- 42' - DAL - Franco Jara | WATCH
- 48' - DAL - Franco Jara | WATCH
- 53' - SKC - Johnny Russell | WATCH
- 83' - SKC - Johnny Russell
- 86' - DAL - Ryan Hollingshead
- THE BIG PICTURE: Kansas City missed an opportunity to go back in first in the Western Conference standings with a victory, and in the process perhaps showed how badly they miss striker Alan Pulido, who has been out for four games. Meanwhile, after a slow start to the 2020 campaign, Dallas is finally finding its footing. That's particularly true of its attacking combo of Jara and Santiago Mosquera, who have combined for nine goals in September.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: All the momentum of the previous 30-plus minutes suggested Kansas City were the more likely side to find a late winner after erasing a two-goal deficit. But that meant little after the usually sure-footed Zusi flubbed his attempted pass to Melia, with Barrios and Hollingshead also deserving plenty of credit for reacting alertly.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Johnny Russell. The Scottish international was all over the pitch after halftime, and deserved to be the hero for the home fans after his 83rd-minute leveler.