Columbus Crew SC 1, Montreal Impact 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Montreal Impact shocked MAPFRE Stadium and the league-leading Columbus Crew SC on Wednesday night with a 74th-minute Bojan penalty giving the visitors a 2-1 win to hand the Crew their first home loss of 2020 and knock them off the perch atop the MLS standings.
The Impact were awarded the winning penalty after Video Review. Bojan was taken down in the box and the ex-Barcelona man stepped up to the spot and beat goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell with a low shot towards the right goalpost.
Montreal (6W-8L-2D) started the match in promising fashion, nearly scoring after just two minutes of play. Bojan intercepted a Crew giveaway at the top of the box and passed to Amar Sejdic, but the 23 year-old midfielder hit the far post with his low shot.
The Impact finally got the goal they were looking for thanks to Lassi Lappalainen in the 24th minute. The Finland international initially sent a through ball into space for Bojan but the Catalan's strike hit the crossbar. Lappalainen headed the rebound toward goal and the effort struck a defender's hand in the process, only for the 22 year-old to finish it off on the second attempt. Although the ref whistle went off for the hand ball offense, the goal was awarded since the play ended in a goal.
Crew SC (9W-3L-4D) found an equalizer in the 44th minute. Pedro Santos dribbled his way from the middle of the field all the way into the box and passed to his left to Milton Valenzuela. The Argentine left back sent a low cross which deflected off the face of Gyasi Zardes and into the goal for his 10th tally of the season to momentarily level the score at 1-1.
The Impact lost yet another player due to injury in this one: This time it was Lappalainen at the 60th minute. The winger, who was set to leave to join the Finland national team after the game and was replaced by Maxi Urruti.
- 24' — MTL — Lassi Lappalainen | WATCH
- 44' — CLB — Gyasi Zardes | WATCH
- 74' — MTL — Bojan (PK) | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Impact grab a massive three points away in Ohio. After going winless in their last five games, standout performances from Bojan and Lappalainen gave Thierry Henry and his club a breath of fresh air. With the loss, the Crew saw their seven-game home winning streak snapped and they are now winless in three and in the process lost their place atop the league standings.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After a recommended Video Review from the VAR, the Montreal Impact were awarded the winning penalty for the foul on Bojan. The Catalan took the penalty himself and gave his team a very important win against one of the best teams in MLS.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Bojan currently finds himself in a very good spell for the Montreal Impact over the past two games. He was a key figure in his team’s latest win and converted the game-winning goal from the penalty spot.