LA Galaxy 3, Portland Timbers 6 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Timbers jumped out to a 2-0 lead within the first 23 minutes of the match. The opening goal started with a throw-in; Yimmi Chara did work to penetrate into the Galaxy box, sending a perfect pass that Felipe Mora was able to fire in. Then, on a free kick that looked to be a Diego Valeri special, Jeremy Ebobisse stepped up and surprised, bending his shot around the wall and past Galaxy 'keeper David Bingham.
But Julian Araujo would bring the Galaxy back to 2-1 by pouncing on a poorly-cleared corner kick attempt, sailing in the ball from beyond the 18.
Valeri would get his goal less than two minutes after play resumed for the second half, chipping a shot in to give the Timbers a two-goal lead. A lovely Cristian Pavon to Ethan Zubak combo in the 55th minute brought the Galaxy back to within a goal. The Timbers then took charge with Mora's second goal and Larrys Mabiala within the space of three minutes. Pavon, did, however, get on the scoresheet in the 71st minute with a definitive strike. But then Ebobisse would add his second in the 80th minute.
- 14' – POR – Felipe Mora | WATCH
- 23' – POR – Jeremy Ebobisse | WATCH
- 34' – LA – Julian Araujo | WATCH
- 47' – POR – Diego Valeri | WATCH
- 55' – LA – Ethan Zubak | WATCH
- 60' – POR – Felipe Mora | WATCH
- 63' – POR – Larrys Mabiala | WATCH
- 70' – LA – Cristian Pavon | WATCH
- 80' – POR – Jeremy Ebobisse | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: These were already teams moving in opposite directions prior to Wednesday's match, but that's even more apparent now. Even with Sebastian Blanco out, the Timbers found a lot of different ways to score, and the Galaxy found a lot of different ways to seemingly let them score.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Valeri's goal came shortly after play resumed, and after that chip landed, the Timbers stopped any momentum the Galaxy might have mustered.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Ebobisse had a critical first-half goal, added a second for a late dagger, and looked bright throughout the match.