Inter Miami CF 1, Houston Dynamo 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
Inter Miami CF continue to cling to the dream of a playoff berth in their inaugural season, putting back-to-back wins together for the first time after beating Houston Dynamo 1–0 in Week 17 at Inter Miami CF Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.
The winner came on a 57th-minute penalty kick converted by Lewis Morgan after teammate Leandro González Pirez was taken down in the box by Houston defender Aljaz Struna. Star signing Gonzalo Higuain missed Inter Miami's last penalty kick in Philadelphia and Morgan stepped up this time and would not miss.
- Zakuani: Higuain has set his ego aside; Morgan is the X-factor
- Inter Miami buzzing after back-to-back wins: "This is another team"
Dynamo goalkeeper Marko Maric thwarted Inter Miami on their best opportunities of the match. He denied Morgan on an impressive shot in the 24th minute and then he made a fantastic 53rd-minute stop on Higuain, who was dangerous on the night with a few other looks.
The visitors' best look at goal in the first half came on a half-chance just before halftime with two Dynamo players lunging for the ball in the box, but failing to get it on target. After the Miami goal, Houston's Ariel Lassiter was stuffed by Inter goalkeeper John McCarthy who came off his line in the 71st minute and Christian Ramirez missed the target in the 86th minute.
The match was delayed for 48 minutes in the first half. After an opening 30 minutes of playing in a pouring rain, the threat of lightning forced the referee to send the teams into the locker room.
- 57' — MIA — Lewis Morgan | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: Even with Rodolfo Pizarro away on international duty, Inter Miami picked up their second straight win. With just six matches remaining, these three points are essential to Miami's playoff hopes and with a win at home against Atlanta on Wednesday, they could vault themselves into playoff position. Meanwhile, Houston remain outside the playoff spots, and with more games played than any other team in the Western Conference.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Lewis Morgan's converted penalty justified all the hard work Miami put into the game. The hosts bossed most of the match but were unlucky not to score from open play, so Morgan's goal was the just reward for their efforts.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Marko Maric. The Dynamo may not have made it on the scoreboard, but without the outstanding saves of Houston's 'keeper, Miami would have racked up a much more lopsided scoreline.
- MIA: Wednesday, October 14 vs. Atlanta United FC (8 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+; MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)
- HOU: Wednesday, October 14 vs. Nashville SC (8 pm ET MLS LIVE on ESPN+; MLS LIVE on DAZN in Canada)