Philadelphia Union 2, Montreal Impact 1 | MLS Match Recap
The Philadelphia Union secured place in the Eastern Conference in a 2-1 win over the Montreal Impact on a rainy Sunday night at a Subaru Park which included fans for the first time since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic. Goals from Jamiro Monteiro and Sergio Santos topped Thierry Henry's Impact.
The Impact and Union gave a high octane start to the game. The Union tested Impact goalkeeper Clement Diop from the very first minute, as the Senegal international blocked a far post strike from the top of the box by Brenden Aaronson.
After a drop in pace, the Union broke the deadlock at the 39th minute. From his right flank, Ilsinho swiftly cut inside and sent a through ball into the box for Monteiro. The Designated Player beat Diop with a low shot towards the near post to his first goal of the 2020 season.
The Union found a second goal in the very next play. Aaronson sent a through ball for Ilsinho, who connected with Santos with a low cross across the box. Santos, who had substituted in at halftime, tapped in his fourth goal of the season.
The Impact got a goal back deficit thanks to Amar Sejdic's first MLS goal. The former Maryland Terrapin was left with just enough space to launch a low shot from outside the box to beat Blake and bring the score to 2-1.
- 39' — PHI — Jamiro Monteiro | WATCH
- 49' — PHI — Sergio Santos | WATCH
- 65' — MTL — Amar Sejdic | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: With the win, the Union secured their spot as second in the Eastern Conference, and in the Supporters’ Shield standings, three points away from Toronto FC. The Impact snapped their two-game run without a loss but remained eighth in the Eastern Conference standings.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Ilsinho showed a flash of brilliance by cutting inside from his right flank and seeing an open lane for a through ball. Result? Jamiro Monteiro opened the score for the Union.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: In only his second start of the 2020 season, Ilsinho showed his worth. The 34 year-old Brazilian assisted Jamiro Monteiro’s goal in the first half and Sergio Santos’ tap-in in the second half.
- PHI: Wednesday, October 14 at DC United (8:00 pm ET | MLS Live on ESPN+ in US; MLS Live on DAZN in Canada)
- MTL: Wednesday, October 14 vs New England Revolution (7:30 pm ET | MLS Live on ESPN+ in US; TSN5, TVA Sports in Canada)