Chicago Fire FC 2, New York Red Bulls 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
After his 95th-minute goal against Orlando last weekend, White's goal this week came in the 91st minute following a late scramble in the Fire box that ended with the RBNY striker putting home a deflection off the hand of Chicago goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth to deny the hosts all three points on the evening.
It was the Red Bulls that scored the opening goal of the evening thanks to a fine strike from Kyle Duncan. The right back was given too much time to set up a well-hit left-footed strike past Bobby Shuttleworth and into the top corner of the net in the 39th minute.
The lead lasted only until the 51st minute when a Boris Sekulic cross was tapped in from close range by the in-form Robert Beric to level the match for the hosts. The scoreline nearly became 2-1 in favor of the Fire in the 66th as Beric served in a great ball that Frankowski headed over the bar.
Just five minutes later Frankowski finally delivered his long-awaited first goal of the year as a diving header from Fabian Herbers was parried away and hit off the crossbar by Shuttleworth, leaving the Polish international a tap-in to put the Fire in front.
Chicago looked to see this one out and gain a vital three points to put them back above the playoff line in the Eastern Conference only for White to repeat his late heroics.
- 39' - RBNY - Kyle Duncan | WATCH
- 51' - CHI - Robert Beric | WATCH
- 71' - CHI - Przymeslaw Frankowski | WATCH
- 90'+1 - RBNY - Brian White | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: What a massive letdown for the Fire. Desperate to pick up a victory on the night to get back over the playoff line, Chicago had shown their mettle in coming back from an early deficit to set themself up for an important result in the Windy City. If they end up missing out on the postseason, they'll point to tonight as a match they should have been able to see out for a victory. The good news: they are tied with Inter Miami CF on points with a game in hand despite Inter Miami's 2-1 win over Orlando City FC.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: RBNY have developed a habit of leaving it late: Six days after Brian White's goal at the death drew his side level with Orlando City FC at Red Bull Arena, he did it again in Chicago.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It's White all the way in this one, helping the Red Bulls escape with a point and keep their faint hopes of finishing in the top four in the Eastern Conference alive with three matches remaining.