Colorado Rapids 3, Seattle Sounders 1 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Rapids got off to a quick start, scoring on the game's first shot in the 11th minute. A Sam Vines cross from the left wing found forward Andre Shinyashiki in the box and he headed home for his third goal of the season.
The Sounders made their way back into the game from that point, and did not have to wait very long for an equalizer, which they scored in the 22nd minute. Kelvin Leerdam sent the ball through a pair of Rapids players to Cristian Roldan on the right wing. Roldan's subsequent cross into the box fell to Jordan Morris, who scored from close range.
The Rapids restored their lead just three minutes before halftime through right back Keegan Rosenberry. Colorado earned a corner, which was deflected outside the box, where Rosenberry was waiting to hit it on the volley and through a crowd of players to give his team a lead they would not relinquish.
Colorado were in many ways more dominant in the second half, and they scored a third goal to seal their triumph in the 75th minute. Jack Price's free kick from the left side of the pitch found Cole Bassett in the middle of the box for a close-range header that put the game out of reach and bolstered the Rapids' push for a playoff spot.
- 11' - COL - Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
- 22' - SEA - Jordan Morris | WATCH
- 42' - COL - Keegan Rosenberry | WATCH
- 75' - COL - Cole Bassett | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Rapids picked up their first win since a COVID-19 outbreak forced the team to go a month without playing, and through a dominant second half they showed they are picking up form at just the right time with a playoff berth seeming increasingly likely. The Sounders, meanwhile, were disappointing by their standards, and in the second half did not post a single shot on target. The result hurts their bid for the top spot in the West with the rival Portland Timbers taking over and the Sounders dropping to third place.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Once the Rapids regained their lead, the momentum was fully in their favor. They scored their go-ahead goal in strong fashion through a long-range effort from Keegan Rosenberry.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It was a great day for the Rapids attack, and especially for Andre Shinyashiki, who scored the game's first goal and was active going forward with three shots against the Sounders, two on target.