Houston Dynamo 1, Colorado Rapids 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Colorado Rapids ended the regular season with three wins in a row after Diego Rubio struck for the gamewinner in stoppage time to lift the playoff-bound Rapids over the Houston Dynamo 2-1 at BBVA Stadium.
The result allowed visiting Colorado to vault into the No. 5 seed in the West and a matchup against No. 4 seed Minnesota United in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs.
All the goals came in the second half. Colorado manager Robin Fraser introduced starters Jack Price and Designated Player Younes Namli after the halftime break in hopes of gaining some control in the midfield and adding creativity in the attack. And it paid off in the 61st minute, when Namli followed up a rebound and put the Rapids up 1-0.
Forward Mauro Manotas responded right away for Houston, but he was called offside. The Colombian striker then got a second chance a few minutes later and made it count, leveling the game at 1-1 with 20 minutes left.
But in the dying minutes of the game, Rubio found the back of the net to give the Rapids the win.
The Dynamo were hurt by the loss of attacking talisman Darwin Quintero, who requested a sub in the 39th minute after pulling up on a run towards goal. The forward was the first player in Dynamo history to lead the club in both goals (7) and assists (10) in the same season, but he wasn't able to help his team avoid a last-place finish in the West in 2020.
- 61' - COL - Younes Namli | WATCH
- 69' - HOU - Mauro Manotas | WATCH
- 90'+3' - COL - Diego Rubio | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Rapids are red hot entering the postseason after their third straight win saw them jump from 7th to 5th in the West. And they're getting contributions from different players along the way. After suffering playoff elimination, the Dynamo were playing for pride and although it looked like they were set to end the season on a positive note with the draw, Houston just couldn’t hold on.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: After a slow start, Rapids head coach Robin Fraser made two subs at the half and it paid off when Younes Namli scored, changing the energy of the game.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Colorado goalkeeper William Yarbough had five saves on the night, including a block two minutes into the game and then a big one in the 87th minute, which ended up being the difference.
- HOU: End of season
- COL: at Minnesota United FC | Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match