Philadelphia Union 2, New England Revolution 0 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
Although Toronto FC’s 2-1 loss to the New York Red Bulls secured the Union’s first major trophy in club history, Philadelphia rewarded the fans at Subaru Park with a win.
The breakthrough came three minutes from halftime when Sergio Santos scored his eighth goal of the season. Alejandro Bedoya headed a Jakob Glesnes service off the crossbar and with the Revs ball watching, Santos pounced on the rebound to put the hosts in front.
The Union pushed for an insurance goal, but Matt Turner made a spectacular save to deny a Glesnes header in the box moments after diving to push a ball out of traffic.
The loss for the Revs, coupled with that Red Bulls win, pushed New England into eighth in the East and into the Play-In Match against the Montreal Impact.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Union missed their first chance to secure the Shield with a loss at Columbus last weekend, but it almost felt more fitting to do so at home, in front of their fans, even if only 3,000 were allowed to attend. The loss shouldn’t sting the Revs too much, considering Carles Gil and Gustavo Bou were still working their way back to match fitness following injuries.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: You could go the winning goal by Santos or the PK shouts when Bedoya was clipped by Alexander Buttner. But the big moment came at the sound of the final whistle, when long suffering Union fans finally got a chance to celebrate a first major trophy.
LIVE: Philadelphia Union 2020 Supporters' Shield on-field celebration https://t.co/V2hAdZnNu0— X - PhilaUnion (@PhilaUnion) November 8, 2020
- MAN OF THE MATCH: There was an injury scare early in the match, but Jose Martinez not only stayed in the game, but was the pulse of the Union’s midfield. Another stellar performance from arguably the club’s most important player.
- PHI: vs. Lowest seeded team from Play-In Match | Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match
- NE: Friday, Nov. 20 vs. Montreal Impact (6:30 pm ET | FS1, Fox Deportes in US; TSN, TVAS in Canada) | Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Play-In Match